The Kenan-Lewis Fellowship Program at Woodberry Forest School gives recent college graduates a two-year appointment to the school’s faculty. Established by the William R. Kenan Jr. Charitable Trust in honor of alumni Frank Hawkins Kenan ’31 and Lawrence Lewis, Jr. ’37, the program provides a guided, hands-on teaching and coaching apprenticeship designed to create a solid foundation in the profession. As the two years unfold, fellows gain independence, and by the end, they are qualified to seek full-time positions at top independent schools and will have attained a masters degree in education from the Curry School at the University of Virginia.
Fellows are assigned to an academic department, where they work with experienced mentors, observe master teachers, and learn to design lessons and teach classes. Outside the classroom, they serve as assistant coaches in one of our extra-curricular programs such as athletics or the arts, where again they work with mentors to gain practical experience, from running practices and teaching skills to coaching a game or directing a scene.
Living on campus — supervising dormitories and extra-curricular activities — they experience fully the work of the school and the life of the community, and they learn the art of guiding students in daily life and building substantial relationships.
Each fellowship carries a salary that is 75 percent of a first-year teacher's salary, with the other 25 percent devoted to fully funding a master's degree at the University of Virginia's Curry School of Education. Fellows also receive housing, meals in the school dining room, retirement benefits and health care benefits.
We accept applications from college seniors and very recent graduates for the upcoming academic year until January 15.
Candidates chosen to interview will be notified by February 15. Applicants should submit the following: (1) a cover letter; (2) a résumé indicating previous education, employment, athletic and extracurricular experience, and special interests and skills; (3) their college transcript; and (4) two letters of recommendation.
If you have filed an application with one of the major faculty placement agencies, such as Carney Sandoe & Associates, Southern Teachers Agency, or Educator's Ally, the only submission required is a letter of application and an email to Matt Boesen to ensure your information on file has been downloaded from the agency for consideration.
To discuss this opportunity further please contact, Matt Boesen, director of the Kenan-Lewis Fellowship Program.
Email: email@example.com Please submit all application matierials to firstname.lastname@example.org